Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

The night has a thousand eyes

I eagerly await the next post from Mr. Beagles, and hope that all is well in Cheboygan county.  His absence has thrown me off my rhythm, not that I mind having discussions with Uncle Ken.  But hell, we yap back and forth enough as it is during the Friday seminars; the third voice is needed for balance.  Must be hunting season or time to lay up firewood for the pending winter; that'll keep a fella busy.

-----

Meanwhile, I've been mulling over the nature of fandom and found a good definition: the fans of a particular person, team, fictional series, etc., regarded collectively as a community or subculture.

That explains my lack of enthusiasm about many things; not having a sense of belonging to the community or subculture.  I like a lot of stuff, you could even say I am a fan, but not to the extent that I consider myself part of something bigger, a collective embracing many other like minded souls.  Maybe I'm a bit alienated and ask too many questions, not trusting the wisdom of the crowd.  Not sure if that makes me a weirdo, crank, or just another benign befuddled geezer, nor do I care very much at this point.  I must have a natural immunity to peer group pressure, being curious about what happens when things are looked at or done a little differently.  You never know what you'll discover or figure out...

-----

So, there's a big game tonight.  I may even watch it, with a nice background of music instead of the hype and audio hoopla provided by the announcers on Fox.  Having the Cubs in the World Series has provided a very positive result in that the local news stations are devoting about half their air time to the team, with the antics of the Chump and Big Girl getting short shrift; certainly a welcome diversion.

And here's another term you can toss out at the next cocktail soiree: the Kinsley gaffe—accidentally telling the truth.  Don't know where I read it, but I had to make a note of it as it seems appropriate for many conversations these days.

-----

R.I.P. Bobby Vee.  I wonder if Dylan will attend the funeral.

No comments:

Post a Comment