Search This Blog

Thursday, October 6, 2016

Lame stream

Ohio got Topeka?  I don't get it.

I don't know why you guys and the media are so obsessed with this election anyway.
  I don't know either, Mr. Beagles.  It's like watching a slow motion train wreck of historical significance.  We are witnessing events unlike any others in our lifetimes and the nature of immediate media makes it difficult to tear our eyes away.  This election is a unique form of entertainment but I am willing to change the channel; it's starting to repeat itself.  Perhaps it's time to move on to other things...

-----

I like city living, mostly because of the energy and variety and you can usually find a job and make a decent living.  Unfortunately, cities are also centers of greed and corruption, loaded with otherwise unskilled people who make obscene amounts of money by pushing paper, yapping on the phone, and pecking at keyboards.  Maybe I'm jealous, being unable to hobnob with the swells as they eat their twenty dollar cheeseburgers.  I get the sense that, living in Cheboygan, you don't have the feeling that there are too many people trying to take advantage of you.

-----

Is it possible for a river, as it flows downstream, to split into two rapids?  Doesn't make sense to me, and I don't think rivers work that way.  The water is going to take the path of least resistance, and one of those streams is going to peter out and dry up.  I don't want to be a killjoy, but the concept is bugging me; it ruins an otherwise fine bit of narration.

-----

Was it Sarah Palin who popularized the term "lamestream media?"  As opposed to what, I wonder.  There are about six companies (Comcast, Time-Warner, Newscorp, those kind of guys) that own most of the big media, but there are still many smaller, independent media outlets.  The more recent forms of social media are something else entirely, and they can be manipulated by whoever wants to put in the most effort.  The struggle to shape public opinion continues, and what kind of media is next on the horizon, and will it matter?

----

Here's a new word I learned: Agnotology, the study of culturally induced ignorance or doubt.  This word may be useful in the upcoming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment