Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

fandom

What is it they have been saying about Dumbo and his Idiots marching on the White House if the obviously rigged system fails to put him astride the nation like a fat old man with a pocketful of tic tacs on some beauty queen?  Oh yeah the peaceful transition of power.  I too was surprised at only six arrested and to my knowledge no injuries.  It is almost given that when any sports team wins the big prize that  there will be some rioting and some looting and maybe a fatality or two..

I think the Cubs fans were maybe just too stunned.to make much more of a ruckus than sing Go Cubs Go over and over in a drunken stupor/  It's interesting how the lame stream local media sends reporters out to interview Cub fandom, which turns out  to be anybody wearing anything blue with a red C, as if they were some strangers in our midst, and suddenly this one person is the voice of all Cubdom.

But what is it to be a sportsfan, more particularly to be a fan of a particular team.  We all know some guys who could tell you who what third baseman led the National league in triples in 1971, but there are also fans who couldn't  tell you who played third for the Cubs this year but that are still big fans.

I'll tell you a shameful secret, Sometime in the late fifties I decided that I had had enough Cubbie suffering, all my friends were White Sox fans, and the Sox clearly had a superior team so I decided to become a White Sox fan,  I was one with my friends and I enjoyed more victories than defeats, but somehow it didn't last even a season.

As far as I can tell Beagles and Old Dog are immune to this sort of fandoim, Beagles in particular appears to have no interest at all,  Old Dog might might well say something like, Jolly good lads, if he had an English accent, which he doesn't, but I don't think he would experience the white knuckle grasp of the remote followed by tossing it at the ceiling should victory occur.

But I am affected by this fandom, not for the Bears or the Bulls or the Fighting Illini.  Just for the Cubs, and I look inside myself and I can't find out why.

I hope Beagles is ok, not like him to miss a post without some written excuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment