Search This Blog

Thursday, October 13, 2016

If I had to yammer

Seldom does a word have only one definition in the dictionary, and relationship is one of those words.  To some people, a relationship between men and women implies dating, friends with benefits, sport fucking and things of that nature, but I think those activities are the precursors to a relationship.

When you see a couple out shopping, and the guy is holding the purse (in good humor) you know that couple is in a relationship.  Or, at the checkout line, when a single guy is buying a package of feminine hygiene products, you know for sure that he is in a relationship.  That's my take on it, anyhow.  A relationship requires trust and respect, not something easily achieved while simply "dating."  I don't know what the kids these days use to describe casual encounters; is "hooking up" still a thing?

Another word with multiple meanings is video, a term Uncle Ken and I don't seem to agree with.  To me, video is a technical term used to describe the transmission of moving pictures and sound, also used as a noun to describe the product of that process.

When Uncle Ken watches the political debates, he is watching a video.  When he views his eagerly awaited movies from Netflix, he is watching something displayed on video.  If, instead of stating that I watch videos on YouTube, I would say that I am watching online documentaries he may not bat an eye.  And, much like reading, you can pause a video or go back a bit and reflect upon what you have seen.  You are still in power.

Enough of these antics of semantics; I think we have enough of an understanding of what we're trying to talk about.  Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

-----

The time has passed for the GOP to do anything about invoking Rule 9, unless the candidate is "otherwise" indisposed.  More info here: http://qz.com/804571/donald-trump-rnc-lawyers-are-looking-to-replace-the-republican-nominee/

 -----

It's a little late in the game for me to consider those fancy soaps as a suitable gift, but it's a good tip.  Flowers were always my go-to gift when I was desperate for something appropriate, but they make a lousy Christmas present.  A small silk scarf works well and they can be pretty cheap, but then you have to go out shopping and make decisions about color and pattern.  It can get complicated, but the ladies usually like those little items with which they can accessorize.  But it's the thought that matters, right?

-----

If the lunatics start lobbing nukes, global warming will become a moot point.  The subsequent nuclear winter will cool things down rather quickly, but I'm not suggesting that as a solution.

Pollution continues to be a problem, but at least there is an awareness of it and steps are being taken to stop it.  Sadly, it may already be too late in many areas.  Aren't the oceans already contaminated by pharmaceuticals that have been flushed down toilets?   Also, I read that there are a lot of different hormones in some of our drinking water, and they cannot (yet) be removed.

-----

So, Bob Dylan is awarded the Nobel Prize in literature.  Are we not living in an age of miracles?

No comments:

Post a Comment