Search This Blog

Friday, October 14, 2016

Old Scratchy Bob

Five billion years from now the sun becomes a red giant, so if the world doesn't end by then, that should do it.  There is some talk about us colonizing other planets before then so that the great human race does not end then.  If we do that successfully we will have until the big rip which is tentatively estimated at 22 billion years.  Myself I am not that big on us colonizing other planets, because what is so great about us?  There are surely other intelligent beings like us out there and I reckon they can carry on with their version of western civ.

Nice little bit of fiction Old Dog.  What the story lacks in in-depth characterization, it makes up for with its happy ending.

I feel a little unmanly talking about relationships.  Not that it's unmanly to have a relationship, but talking about it feels unmanly.  I guess it is when you are not going your own way, but you are altering your own way to accommodate the other person, what you give up in travelling your untrammeled path, is compensated by having some help with stuff by the other person, and you have to realize that the other person is not having their own untrammeled path anymore either because they are accommodating you.  Or something like that.  Put that in your Dear Abby pipe and smoke it.

You can move around in a video, but it's not as easy as your eye scanning across the page, and myself I have a tendency, especially under the influence of beer or wacky weed, to hit the wrong button and bam, I am back at selecting scenes, or worse yet, having to watch all those trailers again and that very obnoxious penalty for piracy screen.


Old Scratchy Bob.  I remember hearing him the first time in some hippy dippy record store.  I was a big fan of the Byrd's Mr Tambourine Man, so pretty, and then I heard Old Bob gnarling it out and I was all like what the fuck.

But I learned to like it, and I fell under his spell, it was so righteous and maybe we should all fight for what was right, and look cool doing it, and maybe get a little too, you know.  And those cryptic interviews where he stuck it to the establishment, how cool.  I remember seeing Don't Look Back about that time and I thought how cool.  I saw it again maybe ten years ago and I thought what an asshole.

I loved the surreal imagery about the time of Blonde on Blonde, I tried to figure out what it all meant, but anymore I just see it as well, just music, which is fine.  Anymore I like the later cds like Time Out of Mind and Love and Theft.  I seem to detect a kind of tired cynicism which suits my current worldview.

No comments:

Post a Comment