Search This Blog

Friday, October 7, 2016

If the House is Rockin', Don't Come Knockin'

I'm pretty sure there is no law that says you must have a telephone, or that you must answer it if you do have one. When I worked at the paper mill they were always calling me in the middle of the night asking me to come in to work. There was a rule that you couldn't quit your post until properly relieved, but there was no rule that you had to come in if they called you. We got paid extra if we did come in, and there were plenty of people who were happy to do it, so I told them they shouldn't waste their time calling me, but they did anyway. I finally got the idea to unplug my phone when I went to bed, and that solved it. I'm also pretty sure here is no law that says you have to answer your doorbell or a knock on your door. The police are authorized to break in under certain circumstances, but not just anytime they take a notion.

When I first moved up here and was still single I lived in an old rented trailer close to my landlord's house. He couldn't find the key and promised to rig some kind of lock for me, but he never did. I didn't have a telephone at first, so the only way anybody could contact me was to come over. If I wasn't home, they might leave a note on the kitchen table, or they might just come back and try again later. Nobody ever stole anything, but sometimes they might borrow a beer or two. Other times I would open the fridge to find beer that I hadn't put there, so it all evened out in the end. I worked a swing shift, and sometimes I would go off to work, or to sleep because I had to go to work later, and leave my company to fend for themselves, and sometimes they would still be there when I came back or woke up. The only rule I had was that they stay off of my bed, but I had a spare bedroom and a couch that they were welcome to use. Nobody ever trashed the place, but one of my friends came in drunk one time when I wasn't home and left the water running in the sink when he left. Utilities were included in my rent, and my water was piped in from my landlord's house, so there was no meter. When the landlord's wife noticed that their well pump was running for a long time, she sent her husband to look for a leak, and he eventually tracked it down to my place. After that, he searched for the key again, found it, gave it to me, and told me I had to lock the door from now on when I wasn't home. My careless friend felt bad about it, said that we had a good thing going and he was sorry that he screwed it up.

Term limits? Term limits? We don't need no stinking term limits! Michigan has had them for some time, and there is no evidence that they have led to better government. Michigan's term limits do not apply to our federal congressional delegation, just to our governor and state legislators, and they are certainly no more virtuous than our congressmen.

No comments:

Post a Comment