Search This Blog

Friday, November 4, 2016

white working class

I keep hearing about all these great shows on cable, but anymore when I watch tv I am doing something with the computer or something and I don't want to give full attention to a show like I would have to do if I was watching something of quality.  I watched True Detective which had eight episodes in its first year.  I got discs from Netflix, three, the first two nights, and two the second.  It was good, but it was obviously sliced into eight one hour segments which made it not so good.  I hear the term binge watching, but I am not sure what it means, watching eight episodes a day, or watching like three a day over a period of days?  Still seems like a lot of time staring at the tube.

I wonder about the Deeds bar couple,  Beagles, you are a writer, why didn't  you write one for us instead of leaving us hanging?  Maybe the bright lights and the pounding music got their veins pumping but when they opened the door that cold wind that roams the top of the hat on top of the hat on top of Michigan (trying to bring that back, whaddaya think?) stopped them in their tracks freezing them straight and sending them safely home into the arms of their loving spouses,  Maybe they were partners in crime and put on the show as an alibi, so that when folks wondered who knocked over that Seven Eleven they would assume that it was not Jack and Jill because obviously they would have been consummating their illicit love at the time.

That hot little Maggie with the close cropped hair of Northern Exposure is now a right wing spokeswoman,  Kind of shocking to me because she was, well so cute,

I read a good article in the New Yorker last week that opened my eyes to Trump voters.  Not all of them of course, but probably the majority in three words, working class whites,  Working class being roughly defined as those who hadn't been to college,  That's about half the people in America, and while I speak of income inequality and the squeezing of the middle class, most of the squeezing is taking place in the lower middle class.  That's where I believe the three of us come from, but back in our day our folks could get pretty good jobs even without a high school education, and they could afford the modest tuition of a state college, but now tuitions are sky high and the people are just getting by, so you don't  have as much social mobility, and the two groups are isolated from each other in where they work and where they live.

And the educated appear to be running things.  The Democrats who used to be the party of the working man are now a bunch of liberals, and the working class sees that they are making fun of them, which I admit we do sometimes.  And we are always telling them what to do which pisses them off and possibly they see us shaking in our boots as they parade with their torches and pitchforks, which makes them happy.

Take the coal miners,  The mines are going down the tubes because it is dirty polluting stuff, but more importantly of late, fracking and natural gas.  Who wants to buy coal anymore?  Hilary said that unfortunate thing and now they all think Hilary is personally closing down the coal mines.  The liberals response to all this is well, we'll give you job training, but job training doesn't always lead to jobs, and who the hell wants to go to school when they can vote for Trump and the mines will be booming again because he says so.

Why they trust this particular cheeto is still beyond me though,  The most common thing I hear is that he speaks his mind, which I will admit, he does, But a lot of people who speak their minds are big fucking assholes, but still this is a character, the big fucking asshole, that the working class knows well, he is like one of them, as opposed to the big girl who acts as if she is so Goddamned smart.

I often don't follow links myself, but here is a link to that New Yorker article.  http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/10/31/hillary-clinton-and-the-populist-revolt


No comments:

Post a Comment