Search This Blog

Monday, November 21, 2016

No Free Lunch

I agree that spending without taxing is just as bad as taxing and spending. The whole economic system is a house of cards. Logically it shouldn't work, but it does, at least for now. The national debt will never be paid off, they just keep borrowing from Peter to pay Paul. If Peter ever stops lending, the whole thing will come crashing down, but Peter shows no sign of stopping lending. Cities and corporations go into default and, as soon as the dust settles, people are lining up to lend them more money. The only nation state that I have heard of going into default is Argentina, but Argentina is still there, so somebody must be still lending it money. Several European countries have been tottering on the brink of bankruptcy for years. They want the EU to bail them out, but they don't want the EU to tell them how to run their economies. I don't know the current status of that, I haven't heard much about it lately. I think that's one of the reasons the Brits voted to quit the EU, but I haven't heard anything about that lately either.

It's funny how something can be all over the news for months, and then you don't hear anything more about it. I was hoping that would happen with this election thing once it was a done deal, but I don't see any sign of that fading away. It seems we will be subjected to coverage of this election until we start being subjected to coverage of the next election.

I imagine that people don't vote, or even register, for a number of reasons. One of my colleagues at the paper mill said he didn't vote because they want him to vote, and that anybody who votes is a big suck. I finally gave up trying to change his mind, figuring that, if he did vote, he would probably vote the wrong way anyway. It's true that my vote isn't worth much, but it would be worth even less if more people voted.

I read Old Dog's link about the Hillary cult. I suppose it's true as far as it goes, but I think there are lots of Trump cultists too. Obama had his cult followers as well, but there was also an anti-Obama cult that was at least as virulent. The same might be said for Reagan, JFK, and FDR. I don't remember either of the Bushes or Bill Clinton having cult followers, but I wasn't paying that much attention to it in those days. I think people attach too much importance to the presidency anyway. I mean, they all put on their pants one leg at a time, but I don't know how Hillary puts on those pants suits.

Getting back to the free lunch theory: From what I have heard, the people who are getting their health insurance for free like Obama Care. The people who are paying for it, not so much. So why don't they give it to everybody for free?

I remember North Dakota as being a pretty bleak place, and that was in October. I can only imagine that it would be far bleaker in January. I took Highway 2 because that was the most direct route on my road map. I didn't see any interstates going my way, but that was a long time ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment