Search This Blog

Monday, November 14, 2016

Myths and Fantasies

I have heard that about the absentee ballots, but I don't know whether I believe it or not. There are a lot more offices on the ballot than the president you know, and some of those local races can be close at times, so it seems like they would have to count everything. Four years ago, one of our county road commissioners won by one vote (My vote!), although he died before he could assume the position. He only won after a recount, the first vote had him losing by five.

You know, I don't remember ever hearing of a recount that came out exactly the same as the regular vote, even before we got our optical scanners. First we fill out a paper ballot, than we feed it into the machine, where it is scanned and counted. Then the ballots go down into a collection box underneath. I think it's the best system they ever came up with, although I understand that all the states don't have it yet.

I agree that a shotgun is a better choice of weapon for urban warfare, but I would get a 12 gauge rather than a 16. One of the primary considerations is the availability of ammunition. Sixteen gauge shells are hard to find as it is, and the apocalypse hasn't even started yet. They make ARs in several calibers now, but the military .223 would probably be the one most available when the shit hits the fan. The trouble is that it's a piss poor deer cartridge. I don't know what was wrong with the 7.62mm NATO round, which is identical to the .308Win, or the old 30-06 for that matter. Both are excellent for deer, if you can find them with 180 grain bullets.

I haven't had to buy ammo for the last couple years because I stocked up the last time I found the kind I like. I wasn't worried about the shit hitting the fan, but .308Win ammo with 180 grain bullets was almost impossible to find anymore. I don't blame Obama for that, I think that all the new fangled designer bullets just crowded it off the shelves. I remember when there were only a half dozen deer cartridges that were popular around here and the stores kept them in good supply. Now you ask a youthful clerk for the old fashioned kind and he doesn't know what you're talking about. From what I've read, the ammo companies have been in an arms race for some time, each one trying to add a few more fps velocity than their competitors so they can jack up the price. I guess they are catering to the long range market, but most shots at deer in this area are within a hundred yards, so we don't need no stinking designer bullets.

I don't know how much of all this to attribute to apocalyptic fantasies and how much to blame on the fear that Obama wanted to put a big tax on guns and ammunition. I guess that fear wasn't totally groundless, but it never did materialize, So now will the hoarders start using up the ammo they have in storage, or will they just buy more and rotate their stock? That's another thing about which we will have to wait and see.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment