Search This Blog

Monday, November 14, 2016

Be careful what you wish for

Quite an interesting week, and yet the sun still rises, as scheduled.  As events unfold I've learned a few new things, such as millions of votes are still uncounted, and will remain so.

Absentee ballots aren't counted unless they will make a difference in a state's final tally.  If the difference between candidates is 50,000 and there are 48,000 absentee ballots the votes won't be counted.  I don't know if early votes are counted in this group.  Quite a system, and according to the pundits, Hillary's numerical superiority is increasing and it doesn't make a lick of difference.  Electoral votes rule.

-----

And how about those pundits?  All that data, all those polls, and they still managed to get everything wrong, with very rare exceptions.  Perhaps their systems were rigged, and they tweaked things to get the results they wanted.   I don't recall any of them saying, "I don't know."  At least Gary Johnson admitted he "didn't know" when quizzed about Aleppo.

-----

I'm not going to worry about the fate of firearms manufacturers.  If their market collapses they can diversify their product portfolio; they have the tools and skills to make all kinds of precision mechanical devices in case the firearms market is saturated.  We could quit importing so much stuff from China if we are willing to pay more for superior products, but that's idle speculation.

An AR would not be on my firearms wishlist.  I have no need for such weapons as I do not anticipate urban warfare, but if I did need anything I would go for a trusty pump-action shotgun, and some kind of sidearm(s).  Instead of a 12g I think a 16g would be more than sufficient; smaller rounds means you can carry more of them.  I don't understand the law restricting barrel length; I think it depends whether or not there is a shoulder stock.  If there is no stock the weapon is considered a handgun and can have a shorter barrel.  It would still have to be registered though, but if it gets to the point where it is necessary for me to be armed to go about my business I may not bother with the paperwork.  Jail would be a safer place, but at that point there may not be any police.  Not a good scenario for me to contemplate.

-----

A lot of energy is being burned up pontificating on the events of last week, and I'm going to take the position of "wait and see."  As Mr. Beagles has stated, the president-elect is a loose cannon but we should not conclude that it means we are doomed to failure as a nation.  Hell, I may even start referring to him by name instead of Mr. Fart, simply out of respect for the office.  I still don't like the guy but I don't envy the challenges he is facing.  He got what he wanted and will suffer for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment