Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Philosophy for the masses

The Good Place took me completely by surprise.  I've never heard or read about it and it slipped through the cracks.  What a gem!  Comedy programs without laugh tracks have always impressed me because the humor can be more subtle and requires more thought.  This could be the smartest program on TV right now, and it's amazing that it even made it to the air.

The NY Times has described it as an "ingenious metaphysical sitcom."  Another source has stated that it "manages to work in a tidy primer of ethical philosophy."  These are not descriptions of the typical pablum for the mass television audience and sounds awfully subversive to me.  If people start having discussions around the water cooler regarding the differences between Plato and Kant my head may explode.

I've already watched the first three episodes online and am tempted to binge watch the rest of the eight shows broadcast thus far.  Only 13 episodes have been made; it would be a pity if it doesn't get renewed.  Because I see it online there are no commercial breaks and I wonder who the sponsors are and if there is a targeted demographic for the audience.  The Beaglesonian Institute, perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment