Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Garbage out

The count is beginning and I hope this trainwreck will come to a definitive end.  If it is as prolonged as the Bush/Gore election I think everyone will go nuts.  Can we handle it with any grace and decorum, or will we end up in a continuing funk of profound depression?

-----

The are a lot of yards in my neighborhood but the only sign I've seen this season was for Bernie, and it was up very early in the campaign when I had no idea who this Bernie guy was.  Yard signs are more prolific during local aldermanic elections, or so it seems to me.

-----

I can't keep my thoughts straight as this evening's coverage continues, so I'd like to close with this recent bit from Salon about George Carlin...
,
But during a long career that contained many gems, Carlin made an observation that is especially insightful for describing this political season and Election Day.

Carlin said the following:

    “Now, there’s one thing you might have noticed I don’t complain about: politicians. Everybody complains about politicians. Everybody says they suck. Well, where do people think these politicians come from? They don’t fall out of the sky. They don’t pass through a membrane from another reality. They come from American parents and American families, American homes, American schools, American churches, American businesses and American universities, and they are elected by American citizens. This is the best we can do folks. This is what we have to offer. It’s what our system produces: Garbage in, garbage out.”



No comments:

Post a Comment