Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Keep your powder dry

Until Mr. Beagles pointed it out I didn't consider the other offices on the absentee ballots.  What a mess!  If a state-wide or local election is close do they then do an actual count or do the candidates have to demand it?  It is my understanding that election laws vary from state to state so I am completely in the dark now.  There are a couple of states that split the electoral vote, which muddies the waters even further.  I wonder if election reform is even possible at this stage of the game.

I read that some of the sore losers on the west coast are talking about seceding from the union and joining Canada.  What is wrong with them?  This could just be more internet nonsense, quickly spread and quickly forgotten.  But it makes you think about the validity of modern media and how it is shaping ideas.  I think I'll have to withhold judgement on issues until I read about it in print, on actual pieces of paper.  I'm losing trust with television and supposedly reputable online news sources.

-----

There are online sources for 16g shotgun ammo, but it's almost twice as expensive per round as 12g.  I didn't expect such a rabbit hole in the world of firearms; too many choices if you ask me (and you didn't).  But as long as I'm playing make-believe with urban warfare or a zombie apocalypse, I'll go with whatever weapon has the cheapest and most readily available ammo.  No point in further research right now, but early indicators are that 7.62mm and 9mm rounds are good bets, along with the 12g shotgun rounds.  Equipment for reloading should also be considered, but that's a completely different train of thought.

Does ammo have a shelf life?  I thought that, if properly stored, it can last years.  I don't know what kind of inventory is required, but it seems to me that a few hundred rounds of each caliber should be sufficient, depending on what you're hunting, and a lot of target shooting is always a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment