Search This Blog

Sunday, May 19, 2019

Working through the pain

What's not to like about this plan?

It's not the worst plan I've read but it almost makes too much sense for the bickering politicians to get behind.  I'm not crazy about the drug thing because of the likelihood of false positives. I read once, maybe it's true, maybe it isn't, that most of the one-hundred dollar bills in circulation have traces of cocaine.   You can probably find traces of drugs everywhere if the tests are sensitive enough.

I'm also a little leery of the whole "good guys in the database" thing; this kind of thing can get out of hand.  If it's okay for immigrants to be categorized like that it isn't much of a stretch to have everyone in a database of "good guys."  It's a little creepy, and exactly what the Chinese are doing right now.  I saw something interesting in Target last week, something new to me.  The lady in front of me was buying a bottle of wine and the check-out guy asked to see an ID.  Pretty normal, except the guy didn't look at the driver's license; he scanned the back of it with a hand-held laser gizmo instead.  I was surprised at this new bit of high tech and asked if it was a new thing and the guy said "Yeah."  I wonder what other kind of information Target can glom onto.  Could a minor copy the back of an adult's license and scam the system?  There are a lot of interesting possibilities at play and I'm not sure if they're all good.

-----

Typing is still a pain in the ass, er, hand.  It's like an old softball injury when that 16 inch Clincher would jam your fingers but you healed much more quickly at 17 than 70.  I should be taking it easy but what the hell, I can live with it.

Whole lot of baking going on in the Old Dog's kitchen.  Besides the stuff I already mentioned there are new additions to the menu: an improved cornbread recipe, jumbo blueberry muffins, pineapple upside-down cake, devil's food layer cake, and in a nod to the inspiration of Mr. Beagles, a Finnish rye flatbread.

Kneading dough when you are nursing a sprained hand and elbow is not the smartest thing I've ever done.  In French, the word for bread is pain, and now I know why.



No comments:

Post a Comment