Search This Blog

Friday, May 24, 2019

fact checking

I hear the term sin often enough among secular people like myself to think it has meaning independent of religion.  Well you know I think religion has borrowed good and evil from our human nature and not invented it.  I guess I have a rather specialized definition of sin: knowing something is wrong and doing it anyway.  If you did something wrong maybe you didn't know any better, and if you did a crime maybe you didn't think it was the wrong thing to do. 

I do get confused when Beagles is talking about immigrants sneaking across the border and asylum seekers,  He is wanting to treat them the same, but they are quite different, the former would be mainly Mexicans looking to get ahead and the latter would generally be from central America and in danger of their lives in their home countries.  Mexicans sneaking across the border are detained only until they can be shipped back.  Asylum seekers are not sneaking, they want to turn themselves in so that they can plead their case and possibly be granted asylum.  These are the guys that are who are detained until their case is heard and when there is no room for them there they are released into the country with instructions to return for their court dates.  It's not true that most of them do not show up for their court dates.  I googled do asylum seekers show up for court  I was looking for a source like wiki but all of the links on page one seemed to be from varying partisan sources, the anti asylum guys held that 30 percent did not show up and the pro asylum groups said that figure included missed dates but the asylum seeker did show up for later dates, and the true rate is closer to 10 percent.

Beagles asks if I read different news sources them him and I don't think that's the case, I just read more.  I read two newspapers a day.  I listen to NPR and CNN.  I have internet news sites (chiefly political) that I check in on a few times a day.  I read the New Yorker and Harpers Magazine that have a lot of in-depth news articles, and I read books on the subject. 

In addition when something comes up like Beagles says most of them do not show up, I thought I had heard something different, but I wasn't sure where so I did the google.  I do that sometimes when I am writing a post and as I put down the words I become unsure of what I am saying so I do a google on that.  It takes a lot of time to do these google things and I wonder why it is always up to me rather than Beagles to do the fact-checking.  This seems unfair.  I am asking Beagles to do his own fact-checking on this criminal thing because the morning is growing old.

I will admit that this border problem has become worse than I thought it would, though I stop short of calling it an invasion or a threat to our sovereignty.  But it is very complicated and their are a lot of factors and currently the rhetoric is red hot, and even if Beagles's solution was viable there is scant evidence that it would be applied, but as the dawg himself says often enough, that has never stopped him before.

But of course I don't think Beagles's solution is viable.because if all we were looking for was criminals most everybody would get through and it looks a lot like open borders to me.

It's getting late, happy Memorial Day gents. 

No comments:

Post a Comment