Search This Blog

Monday, May 20, 2019

cheap turnips at the Jewel

Beagles does not make a distinction between asylum seekers and Jose Sixpack, but what he is proposing sounds to me like open borders.  Are we going to let everybody in as long as they leave their drugs at home and don't get tattoos?  As for the databases, how reliable is information from Honduras or El Salvador likely to be? 


Walgreens scans Uncle Ken for beer and for cigs, which of course means they scan everybody.  Well it sort of makes sense, it eliminates the possibility of some very old looking teenager sneaking through the cracks, and it's kind of an equality thing, why not make everybody go through the same thing?

I wonder what would happen if I lost my wallet, would I have to go without beer until it got replaced?  Would I be reduced to standing on the corner and asking passersby, "Hey Mister, could you buy me a six pack of Goose Island IPA?"  Well there is a whole story of trying to get beer when you are underage that would make a good topic for The Institute, but I want to move on to other issues for the nonce.


I kind of look down my nose at blogs where recipes are swapped, but I would like to hear Old Dog's recipe for New and Improved cornbread.


Rereading Beagles's proposal (must we call them pens, could we not call them Courtesy Lounges?), I see where he is for scrapping asylum, but if all the guy has to do is not have drugs in his pockets, or tats, or is in some kind of rinky dink good guys databasem isn't that like asylum for everybody?   If everybody on the southern side of the border could get through these Courtesy Lounge Gateways, why would anybody try to scale a fence, so why even have fences?


Here's a little moral dilemma thing.  As I was using the DIY checkout machine at the Jewel yesterday, when I weighed in my broccoli, I absentmindedly typed in turnips on the thingy, and instead of the expected six or seven bucks, 50 cents came up.  Well it's a thing, I have noticed it previously that there is a glitch in the turnip category where no matter how many you buy it comes out to 50 cents.  I suppose maybe I should have brought this up to the management, but at the time I thought well, their bad, and I am in a hurry and it's a drop in the bucket, and aren't those big corporations ripping us off anyway?.

The difference is that this time I wasn't even buying turnips, but on the other hand it was an honest slip of mind, I wasn't doing it purposely to get the cheaper price, so that was okay wasn't it, oh and all the crap about big corporations etc.

But I have to say, it did cross my mind, maybe I could.  Maybe the next time I bought some other produce I could just type in turnips.  But that would clearly be wrong.

The right thing to do would be to tell the Jewel, but I'd feel like a ratfink to my fellow consumers.  What say the sagacious and very moral dawgs on the subject?

No comments:

Post a Comment