Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 22, 2019

A Jury of Their Peers

The more I think about it, it's unrealistic to expect a judge to sort out the immigrants all by himself.  What's needed is a jury, or a board, or a committee that consists of legal immigrants of good repute.   I think it should be a full time job rather than the jury selection process that we use for our regular courts.  Many people hate being called for jury duty and try to evade it, and I want people who will take their responsibilities seriously.

The refugee camps I referred to were in Mexico, and all I know about them is what I have read and heard in the news media.  If Uncle Ken has a more reliable source of information, I'd like to know what it is.  The gang activity in major cities is well known, but of course it's not all Hispanic.  As more and more Hispanics crowd into our cities, however, their share of the violence can only increase.  This might be more of an urban problem than an immigration problem, but it's definitely a problem, and it will not be solved by importing more of it.  Is Uncle Ken saying that we should let them all in, the good, the bad, and the ugly?  Is Uncle Ken still denying that it's a problem at all?  Living in de Nile might be okay for all those Egyptians, but I expect better from my esteemed colleagues.

I was going to get into all that talk about sin, but Old Dog summed it up pretty well.  Amen brother!  Nevertheless, let me say this about that:  The few times I was either over or under charged at the supermarket, it was only a dollar or two either way, but the last time I was over charged $10 for toilet paper, which is probably more than Old Dog spends on that commodity for a whole year.  Hours later, it would have been difficult for me to prove to the store management that I was charged for two packages when I only bought one, which is what happened.  I chalked it up as a learning experience, and have been checking my receipt before leaving the store ever since.  When the roll is called Up Yonder, I feel confident that the store will owe me money instead of the other way around.

I like my new tractor just fine.  It's a kick ass machine for moving snow, which we seemed to have a lot of this past winter.  The new truck project is on hold until the 2020 models come out because they are the ones that are supposed to be available in stick shift.  I drove a 3/4 in the army.  We had the older models, maybe WWII or Korean era, with canvas tops and no heaters.  Shortly after I got out, they started transitioning to something that more resembled a civilian 4WD pickup.  By then I had one of my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment