Search This Blog

Monday, May 27, 2019

crime rates

There are indeed many opinions on the internet, but to throw up your hands and declare that the truth is unknowable is foolish.  Not all sources are equal.  When something goes wrong with your new truck are you going to step into the nearest bar or coffee shop and ask random strangers what they think you should do, and when they all have a different opinion throw up your hands in despair and go out and kick your tires?  Or are you going to ask people who know something about trucks and judge their opinions?

When I looked up that immigration thing I could tell pretty soon what were the lefty and righty sources, and if you look into the other contents of the site you can get a pretty good idea.  It takes a bit of time, but if you want to know what is going on in the world it's something you have to do.

I don't know how crime rate per square mile could possibly mean anything.  To get the crime rate they divide the number of crimes by the number of people in an area.  Crime rate per square mile would mean you would divide the crimes by the area.  I think what Beagles is talking about is the total amount of crime.  As he says if the population grows the total amount of crime would rise, but so would the total amount of flower shops and churches.  The crime rate per person would be the same, so where is the problem? 

I think it's a mistake to think that the Hispanic citizens of the US are the same people as the immigrants.  Many of the Hispanic citizens have been here longer than we have, while the immigrants have not been here at all.  If Beagles and I were to invite our distant Czech relatives over for a visit we would have much less in common with them than we do with our fellow US citizens.


When I went out to get lunch ySaturday I noticed that they were holding the Memorial Day parade.  As I crossed the State Street bridge I noticed a couple city trucks loaded with gravel, and as I continued down State Street they were lining the route.  Omigod I thought they are afraid of terrorists.  The terrorists have won.  How much did it cost to fill those trucks with gravel and have the drivers hang by them for the length of the parade?

Mr Google says we spend about 186 billion a year, or approximately 1/12 of our annual take in income taxes.  Seems like a lot


No comments:

Post a Comment