Search This Blog

Saturday, May 25, 2019

Who Checks the Fact Checkers?

The internet is like the Bible in that, if you search long enough, you can find something that supports almost any position you want to take on an issue.  I understand that Shakespeare is like that as well, but I am more familiar with the Bible than I am with Shakespeare, or the internet either for that matter.  That's fine for people who have the inclination to do so but, in the words of Earl Sinclair's mother-in-law, "I don't have much time left in my life, and I don't want to waste any of it doing stuff."

What Uncle Ken said about the asylum seekers is generally consistent with what I have read about them, except for the part about most of them showing up for their hearings.  Even if that part is true, it's still a sucky system because the hearings are being scheduled a year of two into the future because of the backlog of cases.  To me, this is proof enough that the system is not working properly.  Another thing that Uncle Ken did not make very clear is that, once they set foot on US soil, whether legally or illegally, and request asylum, the law requires that they be run through the process.  Trump's solution to that is to fence them out so they can't set foot on US soil.  Well, that's one way to look at it, but I don't think that alone is likely to solve the problem.  The asylum law was originally intended for people who are fleeing political persecution, while the current crop of asylum seekers are fleeing poverty and gang violence.  In my opinion, we need a different law that's designed with that in mind.

Speaking of not making something very clear, I was meaning to address this point last night, but I forgot:  When I said that the crime rate would go up, I meant the crime rate per square mile, not the crime rate per capita.  If the population density increases, the crime rate per square mile is bound to go up, all other factors being equal.  I also said something about the Hispanic crime rate increasing, and here's what I meant by that:  Last I heard, Hispanics made up about a third of the Chicago population.  Therefore, they should account for about a third of the crime rate, all other factors being equal.  If the Hispanic demographic were to increase to say half the population, their share of the crime rate should also increase to about half of the total, all other factors being equal.  As I've said before, it's not that the Hispanic immigrants are bad people, it's just that there are way to many of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment