Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 15, 2019

The Inies and the Outies

I think the reason we have gridlock on this immigration issue is that half the American people want to let them in and half the American people want to keep them out.  Okay, it's probably not exactly half, but the point is that neither the Inies nor the Outies have enough political power to force the other side to accept their agenda.  I don't know what part the Wishy-Washers are playing in this, maybe they haven't yet decided whether to support the Inies or the Outies.  I have been an Outie for as long as I can remember, but I might be drifting towards the Wishy-Washers because I want this thing resolved one way or another.  If you want to let them in, so be it, but first we need some kind of system to process them in that works, and then we have to decide what to do with them once they're here.  Like I said, I doubt that there are enough busboy positions to accommodate them all.

As I understand it, they have to be standing on US soil before they can request asylum, so they cross over any way they can and then surrender to the Border Patrol.  They are then detained for a few days where they are fed, watered, given medical care, and get cleaned up and rested up from their long journey.  Then they are being released because the detention facilities are all maxed out. Besides, the courts have ruled that families with children can't be detained for more than 20 days, and that children cannot be separated from their parents.  Last I heard, unaccompanied minors were being farmed out to foster homes, but I'm not sure if they are still doing that because they were running out of foster homes as well.

I didn't know about the Saudis' latest shift in alliances, but I remember reading that Charlemagne or somebody once formed an alliance with some Muslims to fight against some Christians that were after his job, so I guess anything's possible.  My opinion about the way nations are supposed to treat each other is an extrapolation of the way individual people are supposed to treat each other, but I suppose that is no longer fashionable either.

No comments:

Post a Comment