Search This Blog

Monday, July 30, 2018

Trumpier Than Thou

There have been a lot of political ads for the senatorial and gubernatorial primary races on our local TV lately.  Sandy Pensler has been accusing John James of being a fake conservative who doesn't really support Trump or his policies, and James hasn't been responding.  I'm not sure why, maybe he has run out of money.  I have switched my allegiance to Pensler for now, but I might change back if James ever says anything in his own defense.  I think Pensler is taking a big gamble here.  Nobody knows if Trump is still popular in Michigan.  If he is, Pensler is hoping to ride in on Trump's coat tails but, of course, that could backfire on him.

The two front runners for governor are Brian Calley, our current Lieutenant Governor, and Bill Schuette, former Attorney General, both of whom claim to have Trump's endorsement.  I am leaning towards Schuette because I'm still mad at our current governor for raising our taxes and bailing out Detroit. While those two are trying to out Trump each other, there is an Indian immigrant and some woman, both of whom claim to be Trump's enemies, on the Democratic side.  It seems clear that, whoever wins the nominations, the November election will be all about Trump.

I still don't know what to think about Trump's tariffs.  If it's true that the other countries are already tariffing us, it seems only right that we tariff them back.  If it causes a disruption in the global economy, so much the better.  If it's not true that the others are already tariffing us, then Trump is barking up the wrong tree for reasons known only unto him.  By the way, I do not like Trump, I just like some of his policies.  As I have said before, I wish we could get the same policies out of a better person but, since we can't, Trump will have to do.

I still read the comics, even though the ones they have nowadays don't hold a candle to the old ones like "Peanuts" and "Calvin and Hobbes".  I don't know why, it's just a habit I guess.  I have the complete "Calvin and Hobbes" and the first 30 years of "Prince Valiant" in hardbound editions, although I don't have any "Peanuts" in my collection.

Possum Lodge was like the cornerstone of the "Red Green Show".  We used to catch it on PBS back in the day, but our local station never bought all 15 seasons.  After the show closed down in 2005, I found the complete collection in a catalogue, and we are now watching it for the second time.  One never gets tired of those old classics.

No comments:

Post a Comment