Search This Blog

Friday, July 27, 2018

Stuck in the Middle

I am reminded of an old Bob Dylan song:  "Clowns on the right of me, jockers on the left, and here I'm stuck in the middle with you."  That's the only part of the song I remember, and I'm not even sure that it's relevant to this discussion, but it just came up from the dim distant reaches of my memory, so I thought I'd write it down before I forgot it again.

Uncle Ken would have been right at home in West Germany back in the 60s because they had three political parties, and they were all Democrats.  The Social Democrats were the lefties and the Christian Democrats were the righties.  Then there were the Free Democrats.  I don't think they were the moderates, I think they were more like our Green Party.  West Germany had a parliamentary system similar to the UK,  so whichever party won the most legislative seats had to kiss up to the Free Democrats if they wanted to form a government.  Then one year, it was either 1965 or 1966, one of the major parties won a solid majority and the Free Democrats went out of business.  The only reason I know this is that this lady friend of mine was upset about it because she had always voted for the Free Democrats, and now she felt betrayed and abandoned.  It might have been a coincidence, but it was about this time that she dumped me and went back to her old boyfriend, who had previously made her feel betrayed and abandoned, which was how she came to be my lady friend in the first place.

We've been watching the old Red Green Show on DVDs lately.  We have all 300 episodes plus some  movies and special features.   You may remember the motto of Possum Lodge: "Quando omni flunkus moritati."- "When all else fails, play dead."  That might be pretty good advice for living through troubled times like ours.





No comments:

Post a Comment