Search This Blog

Saturday, July 14, 2018

The Rule of Law

My comments about the end of the world were in response to the article about America being a "failed state".  I guess I should have made that more clear than I did.

I think the Byzantines started calling themselves Turks after the Turks over ran Constantinople.  I'm sure that the Turks killed a lot of Byzantines, and the survivors started calling themselves Turks if they knew what was good for them.  I don't know that for a fact, I just made it up, but it seemed logical to me at the time.  I do know that the Byzantines called themselves Romans previous to the Turkish conquest.  They called the European Romans "Latins", and the European Romans called the Byzantines "Greeks", but they both called themselves "Romans".  I seem to remember reading that in "The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire", by Edward Gibbon.  Of  course that was a long time ago, and a certain amount of memory loss is normal at my age, but I am not looking it up, you'll just have to accept it on faith.

While many people do indeed call abortion "murder", it was never that way under the law, and now abortion is not even a crime anymore.  Of course that may change someday but, until it does, we're stuck with it.

I don't blame the illegal immigrants for breaking the law, I blame the lax enforcement of the immigration law which has made it easier to cross the border illegally than legally.  Some people have been saying that it was time to crack down for a long time, and now they have elected a president who seems intent on doing just that.  Of course the next president might turn around and go back to business as usual but, until that happens, youse guys are stuck with it.  I personally believe that our borders should be secured and immigration brought under control, so I ain't stuck with nothing, at least for now.

I assumed that, when Uncle Ken hypotheticallized about the government taking away our guns, he meant all of our guns, not just the ARs.  If it was just the ARs, I would bitch and complain about it, but I think I could live with it.  Of course that doesn't mean I would vote for it. If I had any ARs at the time, I would probably turn them in, provided I was paid full market value for them.  If, however, a law was passed taking away all our guns, it would signal to me that America was indeed a failed state, and that it was time to man the barricades.

No comments:

Post a Comment