Search This Blog

Thursday, January 4, 2018

three ways of carbon unit thinking

Hmm.  Maybe I pushed things too far in the last post huh?  By the end of it I was no longer sure what I was talking about. 

Mainly I was going for the difference between plodding thinking and inspirational thinking, and how the latter is prized more than the former.  Somehow that bolt of inspiration is prized more than the guy who has merely gone through a list.  Having said that I am not so sure it is correct, maybe people don't care, maybe it is just a romantic notion.

Before I got lost in the Alps I was interested in what Beagles had said about muscle memory, which seems to me to be the result of muscle learning which would be the same thing as muscle thinking, which I have to think is not unlike machine thinking AKA AI.

I don't think we can call the process of AI thinking.  I think you have to be alive.  Old Dog was talking about how when he thinks about something, he sort of lets his mind wander a bit, because he thinks that the straight and narrow path of logic will not necessarily give him the best solution.  Of course machine thinking could never stray from that straight and narrow path.

What do we do when we let our mind wander?  We are sitting there with our chin on our fist, our brows knitted, if/thens running through our minds and then we sit back, unknit our brows, pause to watch the path of the bumble bee, and kind of empty our mind.  But our mind abhors a vacuum, and other thoughts slip in as soon as there is room for them.  Possibly in them there is some piece of information that might be of help with the problem at hand.  Almost a random process, we let whatever thoughts are in our ether wander in whether they seem relevant at first glance or not.  That's what I do anyway.  Do the dawgs have a similar experience when they are letting their minds wander?  Youth wants to know.

There is another process, maybe resorted to when the chug chug of if/then and the buzz buzz of the wandering mind fail, and that is to just walk away, have a beer, sleep on it.  Which is just giving it over to the elves in the subterranean caverns of our subconscious.  Who knows what they do?  By definition we can't know because then it wouldn't be subconscious.  I suspect it is similar to machine thinking, but that is pure speculation.  We do know it happens though because every now and then that envelope is slipped under the door and when we open it there is the solution.

I'm going to pause here and wait for a response. 

No comments:

Post a Comment