Search This Blog

Sunday, January 28, 2018

Gravity: It's the Law!

There is a point in the study of physics where my mind wants to take a break and I think "this doesn't make a lick of sense," and gravity is one of them.  We can measure it and make all kinds of nifty calculations and predictions but I keep asking myself "Why?"  How can a given mass exert a force simply by it's existence?  A big lump of stuff floating in the frozen void will attract smaller bits of stuff; they may dance around each other for a while and then gather into a greater lump of stuff, gravity at work.  I just can't figure out why they can't mind their own business and keep their distance.

Magnetism is another thing that causes my brain to wobble.  We know what it is, but I'm still not sure of why it is.  This might be another one of those things that I was taught at one time but have since forgotten.  I recently read about magnetic fields that are stronger on one side than the other.  Seems screwy to me but it is used to make more powerful brushless motors, among other things.  You arrange a bunch of small magnets in what is called the Halbach Array and it's like magic, but don't ask me how it works.  Electric motors can also act as generators but I haven't read about any Halbach Array generators yet.  Maybe someone is already working on it. 

-----

I'm only halfway through that damn Fire and Fury and there is nothing new except some greater details on the political and strategic infighting that was going on the early months of the administration.  Trump is coming off looking more like a bystander than anything else.  He is less concerned about policy and issues than he is about his perceived power and importance.  If he isn't at the center of attention he is nowhere; anything else is a distraction from his golf game.  One little tidbit caught my eye and was written long before his recent physical exam.  Seems he lies about his height so his BMI (body mass index) won't categorize him as obese.  Somebody should slip a scale under his podium to see what he really weighs.

The speechwriters are no doubt busy crafting what is sure to be the best State of the Union address, ever, if he stays on script.  But I expect him to wander off topic and start jibbering about Obama and Hillary and maybe earn a few boos from the august assemblage.  Catcalls from the audience would be a sight to behold, a whole chapter for the history books.

No comments:

Post a Comment