Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Minor midweek musing

After reading Uncle Ken's post yesterday I noticed there was also a comment posted; a new bit of spam.  I checked other recent postings and they all had a comment too, all identical comments from the same guy.  I marked all those comments as spam and they went away, to some spam cache I suppose.  If you guys are interested in commercial or retail rental space in the United Kingdom you can probably find those comments.  I think I did the right thing.

----

I hope all is well in the ivory towers.  Unless Uncle Ken is out of town I don't recall him ever failing to make a morning weekday post; they're like clockwork.

-----

It's not surprising that Mr. Beagles has noticed East Indian accents on the telephone.  American companies have outsourced phone support to India for quite some time to save a few bucks but I too find it annoying.  Unsolicited sales pitches must be the latest wrinkle; I haven't heard them yet.

One of the twists of modern life is that people do not always answer the phone, something that was unheard of in my childhood days.  The phone was always answered but now we can see if the caller is unknown and we can ignore it and let it go to voicemail.  I ignore unknown callers unless I'm expecting a followup call for some support issue.  Very few of those callers leave a voicemail and many of those are just silence, so I guess some automated system is involved.  I think you can call it progress, and it's ironic that one of the least used features of modern phones is for actual calls, talking to a human being.

-----

At 85 years of age, Dan Rather is back on the air, sort of.  He's begun a weekly half-hour broadcast on The Young Turks YouTube channel, every Monday at 4:30 pm; don't know which time zone.  He did okay for his first show and didn't sound like a crazed old coot.  He's got the gravitas thing nailed and it is a welcome change from the noise currently heard all over the media landscape.  Whether it will make any difference I can not say.

No comments:

Post a Comment