Search This Blog

Monday, January 15, 2018

Restore the Balance

"The proponents of the Hart–Celler Act argued that it would not significantly influence United States culture. President Johnson called the bill "not a revolutionary bill. It does not affect the lives of millions."[16] Secretary of State Dean Rusk and other politicians, including Senator Ted Kennedy, asserted that the bill would not affect US demographic mix.[2] However, the ethnic composition of immigrants changed following the passage of the law.[17][18] Specifically, the Hart–Celler Act allowed increased numbers of people to migrate to the United States from Latin America, Asia, Africa, and the Middle East." - From the Wikipedia article "Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965".

Prior to 1965, US immigration policies favored immigrants from Northern and Western Europe at the expense of everybody else. Since then, those policies have been biased against people from Northern and Western Europe. I think what Trump wants to do is go back to those thrilling days of yesteryear. I don't know if that's desirable, or even possible, but I would like to see some kind of fair balance restored. I don't see why it should be any harder for an immigrant from Norway to get into this country than it is for an immigrant from one of those other countries. I understand that the intent was to make up for previous injustices, but I think that those injustices should be all made up for by now. I keep hearing that, except for the Native American Indians, we are all descended from immigrants but, if the Hart-Celler Act had been in force when our ancestors came here, they likely wouldn't have been allowed to come here. 

I knew that "The Good Place" was back on, but I can't watch it because it runs opposite to "Young Sheldon", a new show that was spun off from "The Big Bang Theory". I do like "Young Sheldon" at least as much as "The Good Place", but I still want to catch up on "The Good Place" someday. I understand that Season 1 is already out on DVD, so I'm looking forward to when Season 2 comes out. Either that, or maybe they will eventually run the re-runs in a different time slot. 

I don't know how I produced that "groovy font" in my last post. Maybe it was because I opened with a quote, copied and pasted from Old Dog's last post. Today I opened with a quote from Wiki, so let's see if that has the same effect.........Nope, the quote was displayed in a different font, but everything that follows is in the same old grey crap. 

No comments:

Post a Comment