Search This Blog

Friday, March 31, 2017

The Silent Majority

I remember the phrase "nattering nabobs of negativism", but I didn't remember who said it or about whom it was said. Speaking of old sayings, remember the "silent majority"? I think it was Richard Nixon who coined that phrase, and I think he was talking about all the regular people who weren't making a public spectacle of themselves protesting the Vietnam War. That one still crops up occasionally. Some of the people who voted or Trump considered themselves to be part of the silent majority. As it turned out, they weren't the majority, and they certainly weren't silent, but they won anyway

I haven't heard anything about the Tea Party lately, but I think they are alive and well, they just don't call themselves that anymore. The Freedom Caucus and the Liberty Caucus seem to be spun off from the Tea Party, don't they? I didn't know they had so many other caucuses in Congress. Could the three of us become a caucus, or do you have to be in Congress to do that? Never mind, I'd rather be a member of an institute than a caucus. I don't know why, it just sounds better to me.

I have long wondered, if all the regular people would get together, could they take their country back, or is it too late for that? Maybe that's what many of the Trump voters thought they were doing, although Trump is certainly not a regular person. I have heard it said that people are just tired of politicians and will vote for anybody who claims that he isn't one. The thing is, as soon as the guy gets elected, he becomes a politician. So what has been gained?

No comments:

Post a Comment