Search This Blog

Monday, March 27, 2017

Recovery not impossible

The legislative process continues to confound me.  It doesn't break my heart to see the efforts to repeal the Affordable Care Act, aka Obamacare, fail; it's a sign that the current regime is not a steamroller that can crush all opposition.  But why toss out the whole thing, isn't it better than what we had before, i.e., nothing?  Despite the volume of rhetoric being spewed I don't recall any specific issues with the ACA being addressed, it's like it is being opposed on general principles, out of spite.

Matter of fact, I just took a peek at the ACA, in all of it's 900+ page PDF goodness, but didn't get past the first dozen pages which list all of the sections, sub-sections, and sub-sub-sections contained therein.  It's scarily complex; I doubt there is a single person in Washington who has read and understood the whole thing.  And I don't understand why the Repubs don't propose legislation to change the bits and pieces they have a problem with rather than kill the whole thing.  Am I missing something obvious?   They have a wild hair up their ass about this and they should have bigger fish to fry, I think.  The "party first" nonsense must cease, and the fact that the legislation was pulled is a healthy sign.

-----

Then there's the business with the First Daughter, Ivanka, being given an office in the West Wing, along with security clearances, and her hubby being given more responsibilities.  What's up with that?  I can understand needing Ivanka to keep a leash on daddy, if that's possible; he needs the solace that only a (hot) daughter can provide, but her hubby?  Does he have any qualifications besides being a budding real estate magnate?   Something is fishy, the whole regime is too much of an amateur hour of nepotism and I expect some legislation to prevent this kind of thing would already be in place..

Haven't heard much about the Russian connections lately, although I've read rumors that Flynn is going to flip and some of the other players (Manafort, et al.) are willing to testify before that House Committee that was questioning Comey a while back (has it only been two weeks?).  I think a lot of deals will be cut and the whole Russian business will either slowly fade away or quickly disappear in the interest of "national security," the catch-all term to cover up a lot of activity, legal or otherwise.  Maybe there are forces that have already decided that the American public can't handle the truth.  A lot of Russian figures have been meeting untimely deaths lately, too many to be a coincidence?

-----

Despite this ongoing national tragedy, the wheels of government are still turning.  The mail is getting delivered, social security checks are going out, and if it weren't for the goofiness in the White House we could assume it's still business as usual, international relations be damned.  My impression is that the global community is gazing upon our plight with sadness.  Even if other countries had major problems with our government they usually liked the American people themselves., or so I've read.  If there is an international boycott of Coca Cola, Levis, and Disney movies we'll know we're in real trouble.

-----

Accidentally deleted files can be recovered, Mr. Beagles.  A few years back I had a serious system failure and I lost hundreds of image files; I don't know exactly what happened, but they were gone.  I stumbled across a utility that was supposed to recover them, and by golly!, it worked.  As long as the disc sectors weren't overwritten you should be able to get them back.  I used WinZip Pro, and it worked a treat, got everything back.  The downside is that it cost $30/year (I think) but it has other goodies that made it a good investment for me; no problems since using it.  There may be some free programs available that do the same thing, you'll have to check and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment