Search This Blog

Sunday, March 12, 2017

Toying around


Although I'm a few years behind you guys, GI Joe was after my time too; it was introduced in 1964.  I forgot there were different versions, each representing different branches of the service.  I thought it was a goofy doll, but it was a brilliant marketing scheme to label it an "action figure," so big props to Hasbro.  But the figure itself was not enough, you had to buy extra weapons and equipment in order to close the weapons gap with your pals, much like the extra fashion accessories for the Barbie Dolls. The toy industry is quite a racket.

It's funny how Barbie had a male companion, Ken, but there wasn't an equivalent for old Joe that I'm aware of.  A "camp follower" perhaps, named Suzie or Rose; pull a string at the back of her heard and she'd say "Buy me drinkee?" and "I love you long time, GI Joe!"  Maybe Hasbro's marketing department didn't think it would be a good idea, but I do.  It would surely have engaged the parents in some interesting conversations.

What you guys called "army men" we called "army guys," not much of a difference. I never had a full set, only strays and castoffs given to me by others.  Another army guy I remember had his arm held straight back as he prepared to throw a grenade.  Sound familiar?  They weren't much fun for me, as I lacked the mental acuity to deploy them in a strategic offense against the enemy, and they just stood around goofing off.

-----

I don't know nothing about no dolls and I don't know nothing about hopscotch or jumping rope.


How about baton twirling, another popular girl's activity back in the day?  I could never make any sense of it although it looked cool, especially when the batons were on fire.  I think I was taught that many forms of child's play were to develop skills or strengths to be used later in life, but now I'm not so sure.  Maybe they were just fun activities, requiring a lot of practice to get right and that was it's own reward, but the boys never got it as we were too absorbed in our own pointless activities.  Did girls ever go "exploring?"  The behavioral gulf between boys and girls continues to run deep.

It's funny that Uncle Ken mentioned Betsy Wetsy; I thought of that doll when transgendered dolls were discussed.  I also thought of Tiny Tears, which I assumed preceded Betsy Wetsy, but no.  Tiny Tears didn't appear on the market until 1950, while Betsy Wetsy first showed up in 1934.  Think of it, 1934!  Why was doll development so stagnant that it took 16 years for the progression from peeing to crying?  Shouldn't there have been a Pooping Penny sometime in the 40s, or did the war effort put the kibosh on such plans?

-----

And now back to a winter of sorts, with temperatures around freezing and light snow in the forecast.  Say what you will about global warming but it is certain to me that there is climate change.  I recall gradual seasonal changes with only minor aberrations like Indian Summer, but not any more.  Temperatures seem to be jumping all over the place and it will bring havoc to the farmers; a season's crop can be wiped out overnight.  Or was it always this way, and I never noticed?

-----

I've been trying to cut down on my news inputs, especially on the national level, but it's hard, very hard.  There is always something absurd/frightening/curious only a click away and I'm beginning to lose my wits.  But damn!  Aren't we supposed to be aware of what's going on and maybe do something about it before we all go nuts?  I think I'm coming down with a bad case of Weltschmerz.  There's too much to swallow, and it all remains undigested, unable to be eliminated in a good healthy shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment