Search This Blog

Friday, March 31, 2017

As we circle the drain

...so maybe Trump and his pal Putin are neo-monarchists.

That's as good a description I've heard so far, Mr. Beagles.  Well done.  The preponderance of family and billionaire pals in the White House has the aura of imperial rule, ignoring tradition.  It is our good fortune that, thus far, they have been quite inept and have not gotten away with much.  But I doubt that they'll give up and instead will refine their game until their agenda comes to pass.  What that agenda is, I don't know or have a clue.  Or maybe they will fail, but due to their unpresidented efforts will pave the way for a future leader of much more terrifying potential.  The guy (or gal) after Trump may be much worse unless Congress starts showing some true grit.

Which may be happening, given the recent efforts of the House Freedom Caucus, that small group of conservative Republicans, not to be confused with the House Liberty Caucus, also a small group of conservative (and libertarian) Republicans.  Anyhow, they are strange bedfellows for the House Democrats.

Caucuses are funny animals; they remind me of the cliques in high school.  There are hundreds of congressional caucuses, covering all sorts of special interests.  But they have no power in themselves, no budgets, no staffs, and it may be that anyone can join if they really push for membership.  Wikipedia has a comprehensive listing, and I wonder what the House Wire and Wire Products Caucus hopes to accomplish and how often it meets.  One group I've never heard of is the Blue Dog Coalition whose members are conservative Democrats.  I find the canine reference refreshing.

-----

Dungarees Old Dog?  Like in bib overalls?

Yes, indeed, Uncle Ken.  They were the preferred work clothing, along with steel-toed work boots, for one of my previous jobs, the place that made stone countertops and such.

As I said, very comfy and the utilitarian value is a big plus, with plenty of pockets and loops for tools.  Because there is no belt, freedom of movement is enhanced without fear of the dreaded "plumber's crack."

I had to refresh my memory on the term dungarees, something I haven't heard in a long time.  The variations of denim are more complex than I thought but I finally learned about twill.

-----

It's been often said that "where there's smoke, there's fire" but no mention is made of a deliberate smokescreen, which is where I think we're at but maybe the FBI can get to the bottom of it.  It should be easy for them as part of the ongoing investigation into money laundering by certain Russians who happen to live in (surprise!) Trump Tower.  All they have to do is ask an individual to come in for an "interview" and answer a few questions.  We know what happens when you lie at one of those interviews; you go to jail.  Lying to the FBI often causes harsher sentences than any actual crime; ask Martha Stewart.  I expect someone to fold, soon, and it will all come tumbling down.









No comments:

Post a Comment