Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Choking on the firehose

Now I'm stuck, trying to come to grips with our new normal.  The steady stream of political lies and media misinformation has become a firehose of relentless proportion.  Are we supposed to make sense of any of it, or are the various factions throwing out their volumes of crap to keep us regular folk confused and at odds with each other?   I wonder about the endgame, if there is one.  Events are still too bizarre for me to absorb and it's throwing me off my feed.

-----

Mr. Beagles made a short comment about the progression of gay marriage, transgender bathrooms, and asked, So now what's next?  Here's a hint:

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A New York doll maker says it will be selling what it believes is the first transgender doll on the market.

So, now what's next?

-----

In a throwback to discussions of religious matters, I watched a movie on Amazon Prime a few days ago about the big cheese of the Methodists: Wesley: A Heart Transformed.

Although not exactly an eye opener, there was a lot I didn't know about John Wesley, such as his time in the colony of Georgia and his attempts to convert the Indians, or that his promise to God prevented him from cleaving to his one true love (forgot her name).  I know gin was a very big problem in England at the time, so his abhorrence of alcohol use is understandable, but I didn't know that the official Church of England was such an elitist group of mopes, not wanting to deal with the lower classes.

Not a great movie by any stretch, but I learned a little.  Are Methodists considered the "nice guys" of Protestantism, unlike the pushier and more dogmatic sects?   I didn't get the impression of bible thumping or gloom and doom.  And they liked singing, which is nice.

-----

Uncle Ken wrote too soon this morning; there were a half dozen tweets starting at around 0630, mostly yakking about the new health program.  And then later this morning there was that new pile of Wikileaks about the CIA and their domestic spying tools...there is no end in sight.

Reading the feed from @realDonaldTrump is a terrible guilty pleasure but most of the comments are wonderful in their antagonism to #45.  Besides, I want to read them before they get deleted or have their spelling corrected.  Wire "tapp?"  Ha, ha, what a maroon.

No comments:

Post a Comment