Search This Blog

Thursday, March 9, 2017

Hot air


I should have known better than to comment on the amount of time Mr. Beagles spent on getting his system working.  Yesterday afternoon my computer froze while online, so after a reboot I thought a little system maintenance was in order.  I ran a simple check and cleanup of malware and privacy traces, which I didn't think would take too long.  Ha, ha, I'll never learn; no malware but more than 80 thousand privacy traces which took more than seven hours to fix.  Really threw me off my schedule and made it impossible for a timely post.  I shudder to think of the time involved for a complete, deep analysis and cleanup of the system.  I should have let sleeping dogs lie.

-----

...now suckling at the breast of the bird...

Ouch!  I can always depend on Uncle Ken for a well phrased burn.  The tweets themselves aren't nearly as entertaining as the comments that follow; they are more than 90% negative and opposed to the great bloviator.  I suspect that Trump is using his Twitter account to add names to his enemy's list; I read (somewhere) that social media accounts of possible appointees are being searched to make sure nothing bad has been said about him.  Being surrounded by yes-men does not lead to good decisions.  There's nothing like sending B-52s to South Korea to cool things down in the geopolitical sphere.  What the hell is he thinking?

-----

Heat is heat, and I don't think it makes any difference between gas, wood, or electric (ignoring costs of installation and use).  The big difference is whether it's forced air or radiant.  I like radiant, the heat continues to beam off the radiator long after the furnace is off.  Hot air systems are not appealing to me; once the furnace is off everything cools off too quickly.  But wood burning systems certainly smell nicer; I still have fond memories of my grandma's wood stove in her kitchen, with the ample supply of kitchen matches to burn wood ticks.

Oh, wait a minute.  Mr. Beagles mentioned his heating unit is in the garage and now I'm confused.  Does the same furnace use either wood or gas or are there two furnaces?  No cast iron stove in the kitchen?  There is much more to rural living than I thought.

-----

Children's dolls are starting to get creepy.  I expect that someday soon a manufacturer will come up with a doll with interchangeable genitalia in order to please (and offend) everyone.  Some kid may decide his G.I. Joe really identifies as a woman and will modify the necessary parts (tits optional).  I wonder if there is a market for dolls of a simpler time, like Raggedy Ann.  Ugly as sin, I always thought, but made it easier to "pretend" and isn't that what dolls are about, pretending?  I'd hate to be a kid nowadays, with reality slapping me in the face before I learn how to walk.  Maybe I'm just out of touch with what the kids are doing or thinking these days, and everything will be fine once they grow up and get us out of the mess we're in today.

No comments:

Post a Comment