Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Moderation in All Things

I thought I admitted that my sources of information were limited back in the 70s. Nowadays we all have more information at our fingertips than we know what to do with, which just gives us more reason to worry about things over which we have little or no control. I don't know about you guys, but I have become somewhat desensitized to it all. First of all, I don't know how much of it is just not true and, second of all, there isn't a whole lot I can do about whatever fraction of it is true. Don't get me wrong, I'm still interested in this stuff, I just try to take it all with a grain of salt and not worry about it too much. I don't believe I have ever changed my diet of food and other substances in response to what the experts say. I have reduced my intake of everything over the years in response to warning signals from my own body but, let's face it, I am no spring chicken anymore.

From what I've heard, this Trump care thing is shaping up to be just as bad as Obama care, but in different ways. With any kind of luck it won't pass, and Obama care will die a natural death. I understand that a few insurance companies have, or are threatening to, pull out of the program because they aren't making as much money with it as they would like. Too bad for them!

I try to avoid medical care as much as possible anyway. The last time I saw a doctor was when I got this fish hook stuck in my finger back in 2010. I considered just jerking it out with my pliers, but I was going to need a tetanus shot anyway, and I was right across the street from the hospital, so I decided to let the experts handle it. I went to the emergency room because I didn't want to wait two weeks for an appointment. I couldn't find room to park my truck and boat trailer near the front entrance, so I had to park way in the back by the dumpsters. It must have been a quarter mile walk from there to the emergency room, so I wasn't surprised when the nurse told me my blood pressure was pretty high. I told her that I have a machine at home and will check it myself when I'm all calm and rested, which I did, and it was fine. I had to wait an hour or so to see the doctor because there were people ahead of my with more serious issues. I didn't mind that, or thought I didn't, but the nurse took my blood pressure again and said it was even higher than before. She said I shouldn't worry, they get these fish hook cases all the time, and they even have a special tool for it. Their "special tool" looked a lot like the needle nose pliers that I kept in my tackle box, but the doc shot my hand full of Novocain before she jerked the hook out which, I suppose, was an improvement. The total bill for all this came to about a thousand dollars, which I paid out of the money I had saved by not buying health insurance. Not long after that I went on Medicare, and I haven't been to a doctor since.

We used our snowshoes to go hunting after the snow got more than knee deep. You really don't need them until it gets waist deep but, if you plan to walk around in the same area all winter, it pays to establish some trails early on. The more you walk on them, the easier they get and, if a snowmobile runs over your trail even once, it packs hard like I said. The snowmobiles were mostly just joy riding in the woods, but ice fishermen also use them. By the way, the reason I didn't take turns carrying our daughter was that I was breaking trail, carrying the gun, and minding the hounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment