Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 7, 2017

An Obama Nation Before the Lord

(It's blowing up a storm out there and our electricity has been blinking so, if this blog ends abruptly, it will be because our power went out.)

During the presidential campaign of 2008, my hypothetical wife saw a card in the Hallmark store that had a cartoon drawing of Obama on it and said, "If I forgot your birthday it would be an Obama nation." Some time after the election, some people on the site I was frequenting came up with a theory about an Apocalyptic Biblical prophesy that said "When the abomination that makes desolate" appears, it will be a sign that the shit is about to hit the fan.....or words to that effect. They postulated that "abomination" was a code word for "Obama nation". (I am not making this up!) I was familiar with the passage, and I didn't think it had anything to do with our current president, but I did some research just to make sure.

Come to find out, Jesus was quoting the prophet Daniel when he said that. Daniel himself confessed that he didn't know what it meant, he just wrote it down like the angel told him to. Most historians, both sacred and secular, seem to agree that it referred to when the Greeks, who were running Israel at he time, took over the Temple, rededicated it to their god Zeus, and started sacrificing hogs in it. This rendered the Temple unfit for Jewish worship, and no self respecting Jew would enter it anymore. Thus, "The abomination that makes desolate".

A rebellion against the Greeks, which had been simmering for some time, burst into full flame at this point. A bunch of guys took to the hills and launched a guerilla war under the leadership of Judas Macabaeus, a.k.a. The Hammer. They eventually overthrew the Greeks and restored the Kingdom of Israel, which lasted until the Romans took it over some decades later. It seems that Jesus was drawing a comparison to those events, intimating either that the Jews were about to rise up against the Romans or that the world was coming to an end, or both. Any was you look at it, it had nothing to do with President Obama, as I suspected. I issued a full report, but my internet colleagues were unimpressed and refused to discuss it any further.

I was trying to make a point here, but I seem to have forgotten what it was....O yeah, that some people thought it was the end of he world when Obama was elected. Everybody claimed that it wasn't because he was Black but, let's face it, that was at least one of the issues. I didn't mean to say that being Black and being a raving lunatic were the same thing, I just meant that a Black president was just as appalling to the right wing nuts as a raving lunatic president is to the left wing nuts. Like I said I'm one of my previous posts, "Now it's Judy's turn to cry."

No comments:

Post a Comment