Search This Blog

Thursday, October 3, 2019

Up my alley

Here's everything you need to know about pole erection...

There's not much to it, is there?  A bunch of guys, a truck with a good cherry-picker gizmo, the right ropes and cables, and you're in business.  In Chicago, the utility poles are installed and managed by Com Ed, the big electric utility formerly known as Commonwealth Edison.

Since I haven't given utility poles much thought until Uncle Ken started talking about them I've made some interesting discoveries.  They are relatively cheap, as little as $400 for a forty-footer, but that's old pricing and doesn't include delivery or installation.  The costs can add up significantly depending on what is needed regarding wiring, transformers, and other infrastructure changes.  You'll need deep pockets if you're starting from scratch but it's a good investment; the lifetime of a wooden utility pole is between thirty and fifty years, or so I've read.

-----

I was reading a review of Scorcese's latest film, The Irishman, and one line caught my eye as it is part of an ongoing topic of discussion.

Is a sin still a sin if we don’t recognize the concept of sin, or lend credence the idea that some deeds are innately right and others innately wrong?


This sounds like a film right up The Institute's alley; the full review is here.

-----

Some time ago Mr. Beagles mentioned getting a new truck, a GMC model instead of a Chevy.  But since there is a strike at GM I was wondering if those plans are on hold.  Some pundits are claiming that the availability of spare parts is in jeopardy and warranty repairs can be screwed up because of the strike.

-----

My good friends the squirrels are back in the news.  I've read about how the squirrels communicate between themselves, giving warnings and things like that.  But it looks like the squirrels are listening to the birds, too, and paying attention to what they're chirping about.  Fascinating stuff.

-----

Okay, it's safe to say that Trump is nuts and is trying his hardest to get thrown out of office.  Openly seeking assistance from foreign governments for political purposes is beyond belief, but at this point I think I can believe anything.  When Putin chuckles and says the Russians will be meddling in the 2020 election I have to take him at his word.  Is he joking?  I can't tell.



No comments:

Post a Comment