Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 15, 2019

happy belated Sophia Loren Day

If Old Dog is The Scourge, I suppose I am The Big Nag.  And as usual my complaint is with the link.  I had to interrupt my train of thought to look at it, and then it turned out that MSN was trying to sell me something, not that that mattered, since it was pretty old news anyway.  I have a Google Machine, I read all kind of articles on the web, I already have this information.  The strength of The Institute is the fellows.  I want to hear what they have to say, not some article where there are a hundred like it on every news site.

And nobody is replacing Trump anytime soon.  Republican outrage over Trump's actions lasts only until somebody whispers into the candidates ear, "How would you like to be primaried?" and then they are as meek as lambs and singing the praises of the very stable genius.

Sanctions, don't make me laugh.  We had the fucking U S army right there.  The army that gets about twenty percent of our budget (while people go hungry and schools are way underfunded), way more than any other country in the world spends.  That U S army.  And then I saw Esper, the head of defense, explain on tv why they are pulling the rest of the troops out of Syria.  See there is this big Syrian army coming up from the south, and this awful Turkish army coming down from the north so how can the 97 pound weakling of the United Fucking State's Army face that?  We'd best skedaddle boys.


Yar I seem to remember back in the day, and that day would be like the summer of 72, you had one key and it opened the door and started the car,  Didn't make that irritating wee wee wee sound either.


Columbus day yesterday.  One thing I remember about it is one Friday shortly after I started working for the state and I was pretty buoyant about it being Friday afternoon, but I became more buoyant when I overheard the boss telling the secretary that she was leaving for the day and she'd see her on Monday.  But when the secretary reminded her that next Monday was Columbus Day so of course we would be getting the day off my buoyancy knew no bounds,

The other thing I remember is that that was the day in 1992 that I moved into Marina City.  So I've been living here now for over a third of my life.

While Chicago is deep blue we are not all that progressive, and haven't gotten around to calling it Indigenous People Day.  I agree with the progressives that Columbus was overall a pretty bad man, but Columbus day is not really about him.  It's about Italians, who like every ethnicity, love a parade.  Why don't we call it Sophia Loren Day?

No comments:

Post a Comment