Search This Blog

Friday, October 11, 2019

in the wake of the fall of the Hose of Trump

Too bad he's a Democrat.

Why yes, yes I am.  My dad was a republican and to emulate hik so was I.  I confess to being for Nixon in 1960.  In 1964 I wasn't a big fan of that bumpkin LBJ, but Goldwater seemed like a madman.  But then I got into hippiedom, politics was for squares Man.  In 1968 I wanted to vote for the Peace and Freedom party, but never registered because I was afraid that once in the polling place I would pull the lever for the despised Hump.  It was in 1970 in sleepy southern Illinois where the anti hippie campaign of the republican moved me to vote for Adlai Stevenson for senator.  In 1972 I was working for the campaign of George McGovern.  Such a cool guy.  How could he possibly be beaten by that awful Tricky Dick?  Since then I have twice voted for republicans for governor when the dems nominated some total asshole (in the second case it was Blago.), but every other vote has been for dems.

I think outside of his flirtation with George Wallace who proclaimed "Segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever," but not in front of the college gates, and certainly not the gates of Ol' Miss, as the scourge has kindly pointed out, Beagles has been a pretty dependable puller of the republican lever.  I think he has voted third party a few times, but generally it i for the republicans.  I don't think he has ever voted for a democrat.

I know Beagles doesn't like to think of himself as a republican, but he is generally with them on the issues, anti taxes, abortion, gay marriage, immigrants, big gummint, generally hawkish, and pro gun.  Strangely I think he is in favor of socialized medicine.  I wonder if Americans living just south of the border, close to the wonder, are more liberal on medicine than their brothers further south.

And Beagles is a Never Trumper, though he rather likes the guy for his supreme court justices and certainly for his tough stance on immigration, which is the way a lot of his fellow republicans feel.  But they felt that way before Trump came along, and what if say Marco Rubio had won the election, wouldn't they have had all these things and without Trump's self-serving ways and constant lies?  In fact might they be better off without Trump at all?

I speak here, or course, of republicans who do not hold office, many of them, say John Kasich have been quite vocal against Trump without sacrificing their conservative values, and though I abhor their conservative values I have to applaud them for speaking out.

Republicans who do hold office are an elephant of a completely different hue.  Though many of them were former Never Trumpers, they all now slavishly lick his boots.  I speak harshly of them, but I understand that it is a matter of self-preservation, to do otherwise is to be primaried and lose their seat.  But deep in their hearts, though they will never say so, they would love to see that big heart attack.

Impeachment has the big mo right now, every new poll shows that more people support it even among republicans, in response Trump is becoming more unhinged, doing dumber and more vile things led on by his dancing gnome which makes people more disgusted with him.  Who knows if the big mo will continue, but say it does.

I think it's a real stretch to think that it will ever go so far as to sway twenty republican senators, but in the aftermath the republican senators will be covered in shit, what becomes of them then, and what of their conservative values? 

If they truly believed in their conservative values, could they make a valiant stand on their sinking ship, develop a spine, stand up to the tyrant and look like men of honor?

Probably not.  But we live in strange times.

No comments:

Post a Comment