Search This Blog

Monday, October 7, 2019

more sin

What, because I am an atheist am I forbidden to say "Thank God it's Friday," "Heavens to Betsy," "God bless you," after a sneeze?  As you know I think sin predates religion, just something it picked up along the way, a shiny rock that it thought would look good in its wall..

I think I defined sin some time ago as knowing something was wrong, but doing it anyway.  That was for the sake of an argument I was making, but it still sounds pretty good to me.  I remember some of my Catholic brethren who, being reminded that it was Friday, just as the sausage pizza was delivered to our table, would become angry at the reminder because if they hadn't known it was Friday, they could have enjoyed the pie, but now that they knew even a thin slice could send them to hell.  Well probably not hell, but maybe like a century in purgatory.

The Greeks philosophers philosophized quite a bit about morality, and they built a lot of logical arguments about it, much of that adopted by the Church in its early days, but that is not what I am talking about.  I am talking about that feeling you get when you do, or are just about to do, something wrong not because of some logical argument, but just something in your gut.

Original sin says that because of a certain act in time all humanity has to ask Jesus in order to be saved.  What I am saying is that we are born with a set of genes that will lead us to the concept of sin (originating because we are social animals , and especially in us humans because of our long childhoods).

The idea that all men are basically good is the sort of thing you would expect a secular humanist to say, but I don't know if that's like a major principle.  I don't know if I subscribe to it.  I think we have an inborn sense of good and bad, but that doesn't necessarily mean that we are good.  It's likely a component in the inevitability of The Liberal Agenda, but while I still believe in The Agenda, I no longer believe that it is inevitable.

It is said that people are the most social animals on God's green earth except for ants and bees and termites, so then do they have an advanced morality.  I am going to say no because they have no free will.  On the other hand I don't really believe in free will, so I don't know, that's what you get wading into the deep waters of philosophy.


To say that the dems have not begun to impeach because they are going through preliminary motions is like saying Beagles is not going to town because right now he is just walking to his truck.  It's happening Baby.


Going in for cataract surgery today.  It will probably be a few days until I am back at the Beaglestonian.

No comments:

Post a Comment