Search This Blog

Friday, October 25, 2019

the stupidest thing I ever heard

Coming over the transom.  A nice image, rings of something out of a black and white movie, probably about newspapers.  Ka thunk, the sound of the missive that will blow the city a new asshole.  That was back in the days when the press was not regularly called the enemy of the people, seems so long ago now.

As I suspected a brief internet search reveals that transoms anymore are just decorative which means they almost surely don't open.  Pity.  I think I picked up the phrase over the transom from the Letters to the Editor of one of those science fiction magazines that I used to devour back in my teens when air conditioning was rare and transoms were aplenty.  They used it of course to refer to readers' letters, and that is he sense in which I used it,  It's kind of a joking thing you know.  I find it colorful and will continue to use it.

The latter reasons Old Dog gives for looking at Trump's taxes are precisely what the guys chasing his taxes are looking for.  Lots of Russian fingerprints are expected.  It is suspected that Trump doesn't want to reveal his taxes because he is not nearly as rich as he pretends to be, which is most likely true, but not the main reason they are after the taxes.  And why call it yammering?  Isn't this something the American people ought to know?

I was probably in my mid teens when I heard an older cousin say about politicians, Ah, they're all a bunch of crooks.  Back then I thought that was the stupidest thing I'd ever heard.  Since then I've heard a lot more stupid things, but that sentiment is still among the stupidest

Oh in one sense I suppose, except for Beagles, we are sinners, but the import of that phrase is to say that they are all alike, one crook is as bad as another, and that is certainly not true.  Beagles's assumption here is that all politicians have become like Trump, which is not true at all, not remotely true.

You know when one party gets its teat in the wringer the opposing side cries, they are a bunch of crooks, but when they're own party gets its teat in a wringer they are all, ah they're all a bunch of crooks.

One party is doing everything by the book.  The other party is defying the law with abandon.  Can you tell which is which?


That Marie thing, it has been hard to kick, but lately I have been listening to a lot of Gillian Welch, and I think I am well on my way to recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment