Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Talk is cheap

Those animated GIFs are pretty slick, Uncle Ken.  It looks like you either have a camera mounted for that exclusive function or an incredible memory for camera placement.  Either way the results are impressive and I'm only a little bit jealous.

-----

There have been a few times when I've been locked out of a site because my computer wasn't recognized, and I think it had to do with my infrequent system maintenance.  Cleaning up the browser history and wiping out the cookies is the usual cause.  Some sites have locked me out because too much time has elapsed since my last visit but I can regain access because I have all my login and password info written down a piece of paper.

Could an automatic software update be the cause?  I understand that Windows 10 is notorious for such shenanigans, but that bit about access from Alto, Michigan is strange indeed.  It's quite a distance from Beaglesonia and I have no idea what that's all about.

-----

I'll join Uncle Ken in banning automatic and semi-automatic weapons; I don't see any justification in their ownership.  But that's a tough genie to put back in the bottle unless you're willing to go house to house to confiscate them.  Never happen, but you could ban sales or transfer of ownership for those already in private hands.

It's just too damn easy to buy firearms in the US, all you need is a proper federal ID card which I understand is not very difficult to acquire.  There should be other requirements, such as classroom courses regarding safety and maintenance with a written test, target practice at a range, also tested, and something new I thought of: insurance.  If you own a car you must have insurance, so why not the same with guns?  Insurance for Mr. Beagles' muzzle-loader would be pretty cheap but his neighbor with the AR-15 would pay through the nose.  This scheme will do nothing about illegal firearms, but most of the recent shootings have been done by previously upright citizens with legal weapons.  Make it too expensive to own such weapons and maybe things will change and we can go back to sticks and stones to settle our grudges if talking it over doesn't work.  This is a half-baked notion that is not fully realized and needs more work, I know.  Would sanctioning the NRA as a threat to public welfare be possible?  They spend a lot of money in Washington and without that dough a lot of the elected officials would change their tunes and start doing something.

-----

I can't tell where Mr. Beagles sits on that political compass.  Can he provide a link to his certificate?  I'm guessing he's in the bottom half, close to the center between left and right but still in the libertarian camp.

-----

Last week there was some discussion of pigeons and here's a new twist, using pigeons as biomonitors.  Pigeons can be used to test for urban pollution and diseases, kind of like canaries in the coal mine.  Hey, why not?

And going back even further when Uncle Ken was discussing math, I found the Oscar nominated animation by Disney from 1959, Donald Duck in Mathemagic Land.  It's on YouTube but I neglected to copy the link, sorry.  I remember seeing it, way back when, and it kindled a bit of curiosity in me about math and numbers.  It closes with a profound quote from Galileo, "Mathematics is the alphabet with which god has written the universe."  Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment