Search This Blog

Thursday, February 1, 2018

I Think I Get it Now

Now I think that what Uncle Ken has been trying to say is that all cultures have some kind of morality, not necessarily the same morality, but some kind of morality. I agree that many cultures have come to share certain moral principles, probably because they borrowed ideas from each other.

The reason those cannibals had such a unique sense of morality was because they had been isolated from other cultures for so long, maybe since forever. That missionary guy and his wife and kid were probably the first outsiders that any of them had ever met and, as soon as that outside influence was introduced, the cannibals' morality began to change. Although some cannibal cultures have been known to eat their missionaries, it never occurred to these guys to do so. They liked the newcomers, even better than they liked each other. Indeed, it was the missionaries' threat to leave that prompted the cannibals to make peace with their neighbors.

Are you guys familiar with the story of the Christmas Truce of 1914? It tends to confirm Uncle Ken's assertion that people will generally get along once they get to know each other.
Here's a link if you're interested: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_truce

I tried to post this last night but I lost my internet connection. The Blogger Machine saved it as a draft, but it didn't get the last paragraph, so I put that in tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment