Search This Blog

Sunday, February 4, 2018

Maybe I've Got it Now

I think what Uncle Ken is saying is that we are born with an intuitive sense of morality and that all codes of morality evolve from that. Well maybe but, if it's like language, we are born with the ability to learn it, but we first have to learn it before we can use it. If a kid grows up in an English speaking country, he will likely learn to speak English from his family and friends before he learns it in school. If he grows up in a French speaking country, he will learn to speak French instead. He might learn another language later, but French will always be his first language. Similarly, if he grows up in an Islamic culture, he will have an Islamic sense of morality. He might modify that if he is exposed to other cultures later on but, if he isn't exposed to other cultures, he will always be a Muslim. He doesn't really have a choice if he is not aware of the existence of other options.

Remember little Johnny at Elsdon? When I first met him, I couldn't understand a word that he said. My mother told me that was because both of his parents were deaf so he never got any meaningful feedback when he was learning to talk. After years of speech therapy, he became more understandable, and he eventually learned how to speak as well as anybody.

I read a thing on the internet news last night, and I thought it might be of interest to my esteemed colleagues at the Institute. Here's the link:  https://a.msn.com/r/2/BBIBfIp?m=en-us

No comments:

Post a Comment