Search This Blog

Monday, February 19, 2018

all alone on Monday morning

Apparently Beagles was premature in announcing that he was back in business.  One has to assume that he is still in disfavor with the google people, or more accurately with the AI of google.  I don't  know if he ever got to talk to a human being.  I haven't seen him on fb either so I don't know where he is, a carbon unit in the pretty far north warming his hands over the burning carcass of his computer, maybe with a blanket to punctuate smoke signals since that may be his only means of communication these days.

Well, it's hard.  I still think Mike Royko was the best of the columnists, but back in the day when I could count on him Monday through Friday I noticed every now and then there was a klunker, not very clever or original.  Years later I used to send emails to a Sun-Times columnist,  I was a little thrilled that he wrote back to me, but his comments became increasingly curt and I realized that he probably got like a hundred of emails every morning and he was just trying to get through them so he could get to the next day's column,  Anyway the subject of Royko came up and I mentioned how I was surprised that every now and then a klunker appeared in his place on the second page of the newspaper, and I think I heard a sigh in his reply, it's just to hard to serve up something sparkling five days a week, fifty or so weeks of the year.

And indeed it is.  It is much easier if I have something to respond to, something to pick a few things out of and then blather them over, turn a phrase or two, get a post of a respectable length, hit the update button and got on with my day.  Sometimes I say with a sigh, I don't know why I bother.

Except there I am in the morning, fresh and clean from my shower, my well-fed pets sprawling contently, a freshly brewed cuppa in my hand, what else would I do?  I wish more people were reading it.  I read a couple newspapers, some magazines, website stuff, watch hours of cable tv.  It would be so nice to see one of those cynical pundits adjust his specs and begin a pronouncement, "Uncle Ken, of the well-regarded Beaglesonian Institute put the matter very clearly when he said, blah blah blah." 

But it's just fun to write, it's fun to be a witness to the passage between the mind and the fingers, a little more studied than talking because you can't just blurt something out, it has to get to your fingers so there is time to consider, but mostly there is all that stuff that is already down on paper, so to speak.  You have to take that into account.

Well I am finishing my second cup of coffee and this post has grown to acceptable length, so I'll just leave the dawgs this morning with a question, what do they get out of being part of The Institute?

No comments:

Post a Comment