Search This Blog

Sunday, February 25, 2018

Slight Sunday

Unlike many previous school shootings, the recent event in Florida has legs and slight changes are developing.  After more than a week it's still a hot topic and the NRA is finally feeling some heat with the loss of some corporate affiliations.  Stripping the NRA of its political power would be a good thing and maybe the articulate students from Florida will lead the way.  They're doing a nice job, so far.

-----

The role of social media has certainly changed in the last few years.  It used to be a swell idea, letting folks get in touch with their like-minded fellows and establish new social communities but the law of unintended consequences is biting society in the ass.  I don't think anyone anticipated how easily Facebook and Twitter could be manipulated, flooding their members with the phony messages of the dreaded bots.  My understanding is that the bots began as a commercial venture to boost the ratings in restaurant reviews; they proved successful and then they grew, moving into the political arena.  But just as you can't yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater, should there be a penalty for intentional false information posted on social media, or any postings by automated bots?

-----

With immigration being another hot topic these days, I've realized that I have no proof of US citizenship on my person in case ICE ever stops me on the street.  No passport and no copy of my birth certificate, both of which are considered valid proofs of citizenship.  I don't think any other forms of ID will satisfy ICE in case I get hauled in with a bunch of suspicious characters.  I'm not worried yet but it's something I should keep.in mind lest I get deported.  Where they would want to send me, I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment