Search This Blog

Friday, November 1, 2019

remember the montagnards?

I was a little surprised to hear of Watergate being a silly thing and perhaps I overreacted by the reference to the constitution.   A google search didn't come up with much, mainly just the thing about the tapes.  I would have thought that there was something in the constitution about the prez not being allowed to commit crimes like breaking and entering, but I guess I was wrong,  Something can be wrong and still be constitutional.  Sometimes I overspeak and it is well that I am contradicted because how else am I going to learn?  I still stick with transom though, I believe it does not violate my literary license. 

Trump has a tower in Istanbul, but I read that it was not a big concern.  It's owned by somebody else and Trump just gets a commission on using his name.,  I don't think Trump is so much into it for gain as he is simply enamored of Erdogan, he had a phone call with him just before he made the decision and I wonder if the details of that call are available,  Russia, Italy, Hungary, Poland, The Phillipines, Saudi Arabia, that guy in Brazil, sort of the Brexit guy in Britain, Trump instinctively falls for all the bad actors on the world stage.  Surely he sees them as his kinsmen.

I remember that case now that Beagles mentions it.  I think my doubt about it was that anybody could be denied welfare because or their race.  This may be what she was claiming, but I don't think that was the actual reason she was denied.  But of course I could be wrong.


There is that thing in the bible about the mote and the beam in the eye.  I hear a lot of my ilk ask questions like well, what if Obama had tried to bully some other country to get the goods on Romney, what would the reps have done then, or sometimes the reps will say, what if Obama had done something that Trump had done would the dems have liked it then?   I don't care to much for it because who knows and it is indirect.  But I kind of apply it to my own thinking sometimes, to see if my thinking is straight.  If something the other guy does appears wrong, would it appear right to me if my guy did it?  If so, well there is a problem.

And that thing about the Kurds and the South Vietnamese is a problem.\ I have pointed out that the South Vietnamese were a less stalwart ally than the South Vietnamese, but still.

Do you remember the Montagnards?  They are more like the Kurds than the South Vietnamese.  It's French for mountain people and they were the original Vietnamese before the newer version took their land and drove them into the mountains about a thousand years ago and they were still pissed about it.  They were glad to take our arms and use them on the North Vietnamese, though they were equally happy to turn them on the South Vietnamese also if they got the chance.  To us they were freedom fighters.  When we left we took a lot of them back to the US, but most were left behind, and probably did not fare well.  That whole enemy of my enemy thing, it's always a temporary relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment