Search This Blog

Monday, November 11, 2019

Read This One Uncle Ken

I seem to remember mentioning this book before.  It's been a few years since I read it, but I thought at the time that Uncle Ken would like it:

"Me the People - One Man's Selfless Quest to Rewrite the Constitution of the United States of America" by Kevin Bleyer

Okay, one more time: The House will act as prosecutor, the Senate will act as jury, and Trump will act as Trump.  Speaking of Trump, I have seen a few pro-Trump yard signs lately.  I don't think they are about the impeachment, I think they are about the next election.  At first I thought they had been recycled from the last election, but I saw two flags flying from my neighbor's flagpole today that said "Trump 2020".  One of our U.S. Senators is up for re-election next year, and I have already seen two TV ads about him, one for and one against, and I don't think that anybody has announced that they are running against him yet.  The negative ad didn't mention another candidate, just that the incumbent is bad news because he endorses parts of the Green New Deal.

I seem to remember a congressman from Illinois named Adam Clayton Powell from the old days. His colleagues kicked him out of Congress for corruption or something.  He claimed that it was because he was Black, although he looked White to me in the pictures I saw of him.  He ran and won in the election that was held to fill his vacancy.  There was a big uproar about it, but I think they had to let him back in.  It has occurred to me that Trump could do something like that, and wonder if anybody else has thought of it.

I keep hearing about things being "debunked".  Exactly how does something get debunked?  Is there a formal debunking process, or does somebody unilaterally declare something to be debunked?  Can anybody do that, or do you have to be a Democrat?  It reminds me of the way they talk about a cougar or a UFO sighting being "unconfirmed".  How many people have to report the same sighting before it gets confirmed?  Maybe only one, if it's the correct person.  That's what I want to be when I grow up, a professional debunker and confirmer.

I didn't know about that mission to fight the commies after World War I, I thought our government was on their side in those days.  The reason it was reported in our local magazine was that many of those guys were from Michigan.  The nickname of their regiment was "The Polar Bears", and the campaign was later referred to as "Operation Polar Bear".  They were originally sent to fight the Germans in France but, by the time they arrived in England, the war was winding down, so they ended up being sent to Russia to keep those supplies from falling into the wrong hands, but it was too late for that.  Some of them questioned why they were still there six months after the war for which they enlisted was over, and there were some rumors of mutiny that were subsequently debunked.  They did write home about it, which was a good thing, because otherwise they might have disappeared into the mists of history and never been heard from again.  It was not the first time or the last time that our government sent troops on an ill conceived and poorly planned mission that was doomed to fail.  I would say that they do it on purpose, but that would just be paranoid.  Happy Veterans Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment