Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Eat Thy Neighbor

I used to know a guy who came from Brazil.  He said that he was of mixed ancestry, mostly native Amazonian Indians and Black African slaves.  He confided this to me one day: "If a vegetarian eats mostly vegetables, and a fruitarian eats mostly fruit, and a lactarian eats mostly dairy products, then my ancestors were great human-itarians."

Uncle Ken seems to be saying that eating was the original sin.  But how can that be when every living thing has to eat something to stay alive?  Even plants draw nutrition from the decomposed bodies of other plants and animals that have returned to the soil from whence they came.  Okay, I suppose those mysterious creatures that live around undersea geothermal vents subsist on minerals or something.  Is Uncle Ken saying that we should all be like that when we grow up?  Doesn't sound like fun to me.

Speaking of things that are not fun, I watched that 12 minute interview.  I thought it was the same old jibber jabber that we see on TV all the time.  Interviewer asks question.  Interviewee does not want to answer question, so he talks about something else.  So what else is new?

"You know I'm a nag but if you don't pay close attention to something yourself you become dependent on what other people have to say about it, and then your decision rests on your perceived credibility of the various people who are explaining it to you, and of course your friends are going to have more credibility than some strangers and you will tend to agree with whatever your friends say rather than what the merits of the case would indicate." - Uncle Ken
The thing is, I don't have to make a decision about the impeachment show.  I didn't vote for Trump last time, and I probably won't vote for him this time, regardless of how the impeachment thing turns out, if indeed it ever turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment