Search This Blog

Friday, November 22, 2019

Natural Born Killers

I think that most predators will turn scavenger if the opportunity presents itself.  I seem to remember Uncle Ken saying that lions don't, I'll have to look that up one of these days.  I'm not sure about cats, but canines and other carnivores do eat plant material from time to time, and some herbivores are known to eat meat on occasion.  There are also a few carnivorous plants, like the Venus fly trap and the pitcher plant.

I suppose anything is possible, but I doubt that one of our protozoan ancestors ever made a conscious decision to turn predator. It is commonly believed that creatures at that level are incapable of making a conscious decision to do anything.

Other than that, and the "sin" part, I think that Uncle Ken is on to something with this theory.  Although humans are natural born killers, some of us do feel a little guilty when we kill something.  On the other hand, some of us don't.  What's up with that?

No comments:

Post a Comment