Search This Blog

Thursday, November 21, 2019

more original sin

Fritos in the fridge, no, I don't put them in there either.  Well they are never around that much longer once the bag is opened.  I suppose I was thinking something like larder and fridge popped into mind since it is somewhat like a larder and the alliteration was so strong that I just went with it without giving it much thought.  When you are putting out product five days a week there will be missteps.

Beagles is correct that I am not speaking of Augustine's original sin, it is my own concept, well actually I think it dwells in the hearts of all men and did so before Augustine decided to give it such an awkward representation. 

I don't want to be all snowflakey about the photo of the dead deer, it's not like it ruined my day or anything, just gave me something to talk about.  I thought the dawgs would be interested in the current event, but I find no interest at all, and I do have to write about something, to maintain my level of output. 

I am thinking if some big old bear happens to eat me I am not going to feel better about it if he leaves a little bit of tobacco on the scene of my demise. Notice how the animals are doing all the giving and Man is doing all the taking.  Not too surprising considering it is Man who is making the whole thing up.  Maybe this makes the hunter feel better about the whole affair, but it doesn't mean a thing to anybody else. 

And this whole thing about poor pitiable man without horns and claws is a lot of human hooey.  Animal-wise we are huge, we have those opposable thumbs, those gargantuan brains.  Look how we dominate the world.  Those animals that we prey on must feel pretty foolish about giving themselves up to us in the olden days and god knows why they would feel that way in the current day.

Why do we go to such lengths to make up these myths?  I assert that it is guilt.  Because of our gargantuan brains we think about things.  I maintain that being very social animals morality of the altruistic kind is baked into our brains, and being thoughty we have extended that into a whole sort of philosophy on a basic level, and we just feel bad about killing things.

But of course we have to kill things, we couldn't survive if we didn't.  Our forebears were almost all vegetarian, but in order to feed the gargantuan brains we were developing we needed the protein we could only get from meat, and once we had those big brains we could think about good and evil which knowledge led us to think there is something wrong about killing things.

This is all kind of gimcracky, and I have left some holes in my thinking, but I am going to leave it here for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment